Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sunday, September 9, 2012

sleeve recovery is WAAAY different!

Even though I've had other surgeries, they have all been out-patient procedures and recovery has been fairly simple & straightforward.  This is different.

First, I am so grateful that an overnight hospital stay was required.  I also am grateful that my husband & my sister conspired behind my back for her to stay with me overnight (I was insisting that I didn't need anyone).  I vaguely remember waking up in recovery to excruciating pain.  I was FREEZING--so much that my whole body was shaking.  I remember feeling nauseated (they told me later that I vomited, but I don't remember that).  Apparently, they gave me stuff because the next thing I remember is being wheeled into my hospital room where Darrell was waiting.  This was around 4-5pm, I think.

I have very vague memories of the next few hours.  Darrell says I kept falling asleep mid-sentence and that most of what I was saying didn't make much sense.  I do remember that my nurses were really nice, though.  The stay was fairly uneventful--I pushed the button to dispense pain meds as often as I could.  I peed a lot.  They kept asking if I'd had a bowel movement, and I kept telling them that I had not had solid food in 4 days and didn't really think that would be happening anytime soon. ;)

The next day, Doc S stopped by and told me that both procedures were textbook--everything went well and nothing out of the ordinary happened.  He said that I could have "lunch" (i.e. chicken broth) after an upper GI and that if I tolerated lunch & dinner, I could be discharged.  The upper GI, as with everything else, went according to plan.  YIPEE!!!

So, a fairly boring hospital story.  Being home has been different.  After the band, all I remember is sleeping A LOT and having a ton of gas pain in my shoulder but not much anywhere else.  This time, I don't have the gas issue and the pain is in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen (I'm assuming this is where my stomach is).  

I find myself with a lot of energy in the mornings and have been quite active (too active, if you ask my husband).  I've been emptying the dishwasher, making the bed, cleaning out & organizing cupboards and trying to walk as much as possible.  This morning, we took a field trip to Lowes.  My sister took me to Whole Foods yesterday.  However, I generally crash HARD in the afternoons.  

I haven't slept through the night, yet and always wind up waking around 3-4am for a dose of pain meds and then awake again around 6-7.  Today, I slept until 9:30 before pain woke me up!!!--That's 5 1/2 hours--much improved. :)

Tomorrow I have my 1st post-op visit with the doc.  Fingers crossed.

post signature
PS  I'm still pretty doped up on Lortab, so please excuse the rambling & unfocused nature of this post.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Glad to hear all went well with the surgeries! It's funny to think of you doing all that stuff around the house! I remember that after the band, I barely moved from the recliner for the first week!

DiZneDiVa said...

Heal Well, My Friend.

FK said...

So glad to hear that you are on the other side of the sleeve op and are doing well! Take your time and let your body heal it will benefit you in the long term xx

Beth Ann said...

Oh wow! That sounds crazy, but I'm glad that things went so well.

Steph said...

I'm just catching up here on blogs and I am so glad to hear you are doing well! I really am just so happy you got the sleeve!! I can't wait to see how things progress! :) Hugs and enjoy the Lortab!