Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

got my letter...

Not *that* letter (but, it got your attention didn't it).  Yesterday I picked up my letter of recommendation from my PCP.  Wow!  If I had any doubts about this procedure before, I'm 100% sure of it now.  That letter makes it sound like I'm in danger of dropping dead tomorrow!

Since everyone's doctor/surgeon/insurance requirements are different, I'll explain.  My surgeon's office requires a letter from my PCP that details the reasons why I need the surgery--things like BMI, how long I've been overweight, co-morbidities, etc.  It must also state that I am "medically cleared" to have the surgery and that she (or he, if your PCP is male) thinks I would benefit from the procedure.  Luckily, my PCP was very supportive when I mentioned the surgery to her.  She even went so far as to say that she was "thrilled" I was open to the idea.  She mentioned that so many of her patients would benefit from something like this, but would never consider it because of a perceived "social stigma."

Anywhoozle (ala Amy)--things are falling into place.  I have a little over 2 weeks left for my Aetna mandated 3-month pre-surgery "regimen" (diet, nutritionist counseling, psych. assessment).  I have all of the paperwork collected for my surgeon's office and the insurance company:

  1. Chart of weight history & BMI for 2008, 2009 & 2010 (2-years required)
  2. Supporting documents--copies from medical charts showing weights from Dr. visits (1 per year for 2008, 2009 & 2010)
  3. Chart showing diet history--what I've tried and resulting loss/gains
  4. Letter from PCP
  5. Letter of psychological clearance
  6. Documentation for 3-month physician supervised diet (my bariatric specialist gives me a copy of her chart notes each month)
  7. Documentation of nutritionist consultations (my nutritionist is in the same office as the bariatric specialist...she makes her notes on the same sheet)
My first appointment with the surgeon got delayed by a week--I'll go on April 14.  I don't know what the timeline will be between that appointment and surgery.  I know there will be the dreaded waiting for approval from Aetna (I'm not worried, though--I meet all the requirements and have all of my documentation in order).  During that waiting period, I will have to meet with the nutritionist at least one more time and do what I think will be a 10-day liquid diet. Oy!--so close...yet, so far!

2 comments:

Colls said...

Woohoo! Good Luck and keep us posted! <3

MandaPanda said...

Things are rolling right along...I'm glad your PCP is supportive. I haven't even spoken to mine about it yet and I'm not sure how he'll react. I don't like him much so we'll see.